To be on the other side




“You will not believe what just happened.” He heard her voice from behind him. Sliding towards one end of the wooden bench, he gave her some space to sit next to him. He was staring blankly at the open fountain in front of him, which was constantly gushing out water and spraying liquid all over in the vicinity. The park was serene, as always; the peace interspersed with the occasional chirping of the birds.

 “I had to tell my boss that you met with an accident to get the day off,” she continued with a grin on her face. He let out a half–hearted laugh. He seemed to be lost in his own thoughts. She dropped her bag to the ground and parked herself next to him.

“Hey, what’s up?” she asked, concerned.

He straightened up, and looking at her, he said, “Nothing. Why do you ask?”

“You seem to be very quiet today.”

“How perceptive of you,” he quipped.

Her eyebrows shot up in surprise at the unwanted sarcasm. “What's the matter?” she prodded gently.

“Nothing,” he said again, and then added, “nothing important.”

“Ah, so there is something,” she said smiling.

“Don’t bother. Long story,” he said morosely, “and a boring one at that.”

“Well, this must be your lucky day,” she said, crossing her legs and settling back comfortably on the bench. “I am all in for long boring stories, mister.”

He responded with a smile. She noticed the lack of glamour in him which always used to be his appealing quality. Picking up her bag, she started searching in an unsystematic manner. “Also,” she said, while pulling out two bars of Snickers, “I have the right accessories to go with them.”

“Thanks,” he said, taking one of them. “But, I’m not up for any narration right now. “

She looked at him, puzzled. “Okay seriously, you have to get this thing off your chest now,” she said, getting slightly annoyed at his lackluster behaviour.

“I’m just having a bad day. Try to understand,” he said.

She gasped and opened up her arms in frustration.

“How will I understand if you don’t say it?”

He simply shrugged.

“You were perfectly all right yesterday. What’s gotten into you? Your mood has just swung to the other extreme overnight,” she said, making a sweeping movement with her hands to emphasize her statement.

“Right. I’m not entitled to sudden mood swings unless I have a fluctuating blood sugar level,” he retorted.

She looked at him with her mouth half open, trying to digest what he said. He maintained a straight face all along, but the twinkle was back in his eyes. Then, her eyes widened in comprehension.

“Oooh, you did not!” she said slowly, stressing on each and every word.

His face broke into an impish grin. He was back to his charming self again.

“Now you know how it feels to be on the other side,” he said playfully.

She punched him on the shoulder and snatched the chocolate from his hand.

“Hey!”

“Go get your own,” she snapped back.

“Okay, I’m sorry,” he said. ” I understand what you go through, but I thought you should know how I feel as well. And come on, you should have seen the baffled expression on your face,” he said grinning from ear to ear.

She smiled despite herself and tossed the chocolate back to him. Unwrapping it immediately, he popped the whole thing into his mouth.

“Anyway, it’s not actually that bad, right?” she asked curiously.

“wu aa wo eyaa,” he said with his mouth full of caramel and nuts. He munched on for a couple of seconds more and repeated, slowly shaking his head, “You have no idea.”

She punched him harder; this time, eliciting a loud groan out of him.













20 comments:

  1. Maga what is this????? Me noob. is there some deeper meaning that i should be getting :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maga, if I reveal the deeper meaning embedded in this spiritual story, you'll either kill yourself or stop reading my blog. Either way, I'll lose a follower.

      I'll explain it to you offline. That would be one awkward conversation, I'm telling you.

      Delete
    2. Same expression I had ... Dafuq only it was :D

      Delete
    3. Lol. I probably made it too vague while trying to be subtle.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a man of your word I see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never claimed to be one.

      Ok fine, you were right. Using common names is boring. I'll use your other suggestions in future. Thanks, Nim.

      (And, M_P13 is also your ID?)

      Delete
    2. Nimisha Madhusoodanan12 October 2012 at 22:47

      See where you can go with my suggestions! Sigh, took me two years to drill some sense into you.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hmmm well...Fluctuating blood sugar level + Mood swings. Happens to most women, if not all.

      It was totally funny when it(this story) was inside my head.

      Delete
  5. LOL! I'd like to see you try that on your girl. No, seriously. And write about it here. And I'll courier u hot cocoa to help u get over your loss. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you implying that if some guy tried this on you, he would have to watch his back? :D

      Just trying to confirm.

      Delete
  6. Maybe I just say....I LOVE YOUR WRITING STYLE :D Haha...very well-written...made my smile like a fool till my manager had to tap me on my shoulder to get my attention :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Thanks, Gaya. And thanks for taking it in the right sense. :)

      Delete
  7. When I was half way through I thought that I would comment, "Do men also have mood swings?" And then a few lines later I was grinning from ear to ear :-]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, you think men can't have mood swings? Is that it?
      God, sometimes you can be such a...aargh. Never mind.

      Delete
  8. Drove home the point, I see... :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. *Kitchak ... * Ooooh ... That was one evil stab on the fraternity ... :-D
    Now all you need is a suitable laughter to go with it ...

    ReplyDelete